The Government of Saskatchewan is recognizing November 1-7 as Carbon Monoxide (CO) Awareness Week to highlight the importance of CO safety and educate residents about prevention measures, something that is top of mind for Garth Kalin of Prince Albert.
It was early in the morning on a cold winter's day that Kalin woke up to the loud sounds of his carbon monoxide alarms. Little did he know, he and his family were at risk of succumbing to severe CO poisoning in as little as one hour had the alarms not alerted him to the danger. The cause was CO buildup in his furnace room.
"Carbon monoxide alarms saved my family," Kalin said.
Each year, emergency personnel respond to approximately 1,300 calls related to CO in Saskatchewan. Between 2015 and 2019, a total of 16 deaths were recorded due to CO poisoning.
SINGLE SOURCE, STOCK IMAGE, VERBATIM